Description Job Schedule:
Full Time Standard Hours:
40 Job Shift:
Shift 1 Shift Details:
Position Summary: In collaboration with a physician, responsible for providing advanced practice care to patients in a variety of clinical settings, and facilitating clinical management of patients by collaborating with attending surgeons, clinical nurses and other members of health care team. Utilizing appropriate practices, standards, protocols and guidelines, the Physician Assistant assesses patient health by interviewing patients; performing physical examinations; obtaining, updating, and studying medical histories. Determines abnormal conditions by administering or ordering diagnostic tests, such as x-rays, electrocardiograms, and laboratory studies; interpreting test results. This position reports jointly to the Physician POD Lead and Director of Clinical Operations.
- Provides direct patient care in hospital and in office consultations, including assessment, work-ups, triage, emergency work-ins, and other patient care activities. Obtains and documents health history, performs and documents physical exam, and orders and interprets diagnostic tests.
- Provides counseling to patients regarding diagnosis and expected course of treatment. Collaborates with physicians to provide appropriate direct care interventions within scope of practice. Uses sound clinical judgment based in best practice standards and evidenced based medicine. Prescribes pharmaceuticals according to patient needs. Ensures timely retrieval of laboratory and ancillary studies and diagnostic consultation reports.
- Consults with appropriate internal and external staff to make appropriate referrals for acute, chronic and preventive care. Coordinates patient care and visits with appropriate clinical and non-clinical staff. Documents patient health care files and completes appropriate forms according to HHCMG policies and procedures, including data collection and assessment plan based on patient needs and health care status. Collects, organizes, records, and discusses data as appropriate.
- Carries out intervention according to established plan of care and adapts actions based on changes in patients' needs. Conducts appropriate patient follow-up and outreach. Counsels patients and their families with concern and empathy; respects confidentiality and privacy. Initiates call-backs within 8 hours for urgent care; within 24 hours for triage messages.
- Demonstrates commitment to ongoing education and improvement as evidenced by documentation of attendance at conferences, in-services, seminars, and committee meeting. Maintains active involvement with HHCMG’s Advanced Practice Provider Council. Contributes to the development of clinical policies, standardized procedures, and clinical pathways. Performs other related duties in support of efficient department operations and superior patient care.
Eligibility to be licensed as a Physician Assistant (PA), Nurse Practitioner (NP), Adult Nurse Practitioner (ANP), or Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AGPCNP) is required.
Experience practicing as an Advanced Practitioner, especially within neurology, is preferred.